Skip to main content

Use Bfxr to make 8-bit sound effects for your game

A really useful online tool that I came across during the making of Dragonflies is the free sound effect generator Bfxr found at http://www.bfxr.net/. As the author describes it:
Bfxr is an elaboration of the glorious Sfxr, the program of choice for many people looking to make sound effects for computer games. 
You have full rights to all sounds made with bfxr, and are free to use them for any purposes, commercial or otherwise.
This is truly awesome to get for free if you're looking to create cool 8-bit sound effects for your game such as exlosions, powerups, coins etcetera. I used Bfxr for almost every sound effect in Dragonflies, and I'm pretty satisfied about the end result. At least I know I couldn't have done better without spending way more time or having to pay someone else to create the effects for me.

Bfxr online sound effects tool
 
So if you haven't already tried Bfxr, I think you should definitely give it a shot. Besides being a very useful tool, it's also great fun to just play around with all the different controls for a while.

Comments